Wednesday, February 17, 2010

playa el zonte

Next stop on my trip was Playa El Zonte, on the Pacific coast of El Salvador. This is a very small, very tranquil black sand beach with pretty good surfing. There is a rocky point break that breaks both left and right, depending on the tides, and a sandy beach break on either side of the point.

The sandy break is much more mellow, but longer and much better for learning. So I gave it a shot and let me tell you what, I am not a natural surfer. I took a lesson from the local shop/hotel and a guide took me out. I had a 9 foot board (which felt like a small boat under my arm) and a little instruction to make my way and I failed miserably. First of all let me say that surfing is extremely hard, for those of you that have never tried it. There is a reason that surfers a super cut and in great shape, because it is tough on your body with all that paddling and jumping up on the board. Besides, most rides don't last but 5-10 seconds so there is a lot of work going on for a short ride. Me being a man of leisure, this was not meant to be a natural fit for me, but I felt determined that I could make it on the board and catch a wave by the end of it all. After I broke the second surfboard of the day I was feeling shame and decided to take a break and lay on the sand for the rest of the day. It wasn't that the boards were beyond repair, but I slightly delaminated one on a small rock and the other I pulled the leash straight out of the back of the board somehow. The waves were a little bigger than I should have been trying but I felt I needed to just jump in and sink or swim.

When I brought the first board in for repair, the guys said 'it happens' and gave me another board. When I brought the second board in they asked if I wanted to still go out, or maybe try boogie boarding. The guy in charge quickly added that I was too big for a boogie board and it wouldn't be too much fun for me. I got the hint, besides I was exhausted from the waves beating me up for a few hours. But no worries, I feel confident that, in the near future, I will be able to get up and catch a small wave. I've already scouted out a few beaches in Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Panama that are good for breaking more surf boards. I better be careful or i'm gonna get banned from all the good surf spots in Central America. I will tell you one thing though, I'm hooked, it is really fun! Other than that and a bit of body surfing this was another town that Lazy Brad enjoyed.