Wednesday, January 20, 2010

earthquake

I experienced my first earthquake the other morning! It was about 8:30am or so, I was lying in bed and I felt the bed start to shake and heard the wood and concrete creaking as a towel on the wall swayed back and forth. It wasn't a big one by any means and it only lasted 5 or 10 seconds, but it was my first time. I only found out this morning because I haven't seen a paper in a week. Apparently it was centered off the Pacific coast of Guatemala by 20km or so. No damage to report and it seems most people didn't even notice it it was so small. At first I thought it was an earthquake, then remembered that I was sleeping 2km from the top of a volcano, so I figured it might have been the mountain rumbling. I ran outside to see if there was bubbling hot lava and smoldering ash headed my way, just like in the 1970's disaster flicks but no such thing. I didn't think much more about it until this morning when the proprietor of the hotel was talking about it. I'm sure my California friends are laughing at me now, but it was a first for me, so I thought it was cool.
Lucky for me, apparently Jesus is the "mister" of San Pedro, see for yourself! But it's possible i'm not translating that properly.